InLink is the community noticeboard of the future, they are the digital columns that you may have noticed along your high street. They provide consumers with ultrafast Wi-Fi and phone calls, free council and community advertising, maps and wayfinding, rapid device charging, an emergency 999 call button, public messaging capabilities, and a platform for future technologies like air quality monitoring.
Plastic Free Streatham is a local organisation founded by two local residents with the aim to work with businesses, community groups and residents to reduce the amount of plastic we consume in the area.
Could you pledge to phase out one or more of the following items: Plastic bags, Plastic cups, Plastic cutlery / stirrers, Plastic straws, Plastic bottles or implement a zero-waste scheme such as a refill station or discount to customers bringing reusable cup, plastic free products / customers own containers accepted?
You might consider replacing plastic items with alternatives products but it might not be necessary. In fact, we want to encourage Streatham residents to use their own bags when shopping, bring their own reusable cups rather than a take away one, refuse straws, etc. This means that going plastic free should not cost you more, quite the reverse!
We are all aware of the dramatic levels of plastic pollution and how damaging it is to the natural world. It has reached a crisis point and we all need to take action!
If you are already plastic free, get in touch with Plastic Free Streatham and you will be awarded a Plastic Free Status and given a certificate to display in your shop.
Plastic Free Streatham will publish a mini guide of all eco friendly businesses in the July issue of the Heart Magazine and hopes to have a regular column in the magazine too. All businesses, plastic free or pledging to be, will be mentioned and added to the database on the website.
If you want to join the movement or have any questions/suggestions, please contact the team at email@example.com or 07818405778; www.plasticfreestreatham.co.uk, Twitter: @EcoStreatham. Also on Facebook and Instagram.
Small actions taken by many people can lead to big changes!
Many thanks to those of you who came along to our AGM last week.
We hope you had an informative and enjoyable evening.
For those that couldn’t make it there please see attached below our Annual Review.
InStreatham BID has successfully delivered projects for Streatham from 2013 -2018 breathing life and love into our high street. We were successful in re-ballot for a second five-year term 2018-2023. The BID Staff Team and office open Monday to Thursday dealing with project implementation, business engagement & business support, Collaboration with Lambeth Council, Transport for London and the Greater London Authority.
A VISION FOR THE COMMUNITY
- Lights in Trees at Streatham Common
- Seating and Planters enhancing gateways to Streatham
- Hanging Baskets & Planters adding greening
- Decorative Banners
- Free Allocation of Recycling for Businesses and subsidised general waste service
- Collective procurement to make utilities cheaper
- Long Term Voids Artwork
- Shop front refreshing
- Jet washing & chewing gum removal
- Increased CCTV for the high street
- Streatham Street Manual
- Lobbying TfL & Lambeth Council for road layout changes and improvements
- Monthly Heart Streatham collaboration Magazine
- Streatham Book of Christmas
- Press Coverage for the BID and its businesses
- Business and event marketing through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Streatham Business Newsletter
- Shop In Streatham Magazine
- Streatham Business Awards
- National Press coverage for festival season
- New Real Christmas Trees
- Additional Festive Lighting
- Lights On! Streatham – Annual Celebrity Christmas Lights switch on event
- Festive Market
- Shop Front competition
- Streatham Festival Season Sponsors including Food Festival, Streatham Festival, Peace Festival and Free Film Festival
- Business Networking and Workshop events
A FUTURE TOGETHER
2019 & Beyond
- Introducing co-working spaces to boost the daytime economy
- Introducing new leisure options to support our night time economy
- Business development workshops and networking opportunities for our business community
- Jet washing and ongoing additional cleaning
- Additional support for Streatham Village
- Supporting apprenticeships and jobs for local people
- High Street Summit – high level strategic conference focusing on the future of the high street hosted by MP Chuka Umunna
BID Members, you are warmly invited to attend InStreatham’s first Annual General Meeting (AGM) of our second term. The meeting will be held in the upstairs function room at the Horse & Groom, 60 Streatham High Road, SW16 1DA.
This is a great opportunity to meet the BID team and Board Members, find out what projects we have delivered this year and our vision for the next few years.
All Board Directors volunteer to help make Streatham better and are business owners like you. If you would like to put yourself forward to join the team then please send us a paragraph outlining why you would like to be involved to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16th January.
We treat all levy payers as members in effect, but formally joining the company allows you to vote at the AGM.
If you cannot attend but would like to send a colleague to attend on your behalf please complete a proxy form which needs to be submitted 48 hours before the meeting – 21st January.
We hope to see you there, we are always pleased to meet with businesses to discuss their needs.
Collect the clue in each participating window to complete this popular Christmas phrase and enter our competition to win a top prize of £100! Now that’s a Christmas present we’d all like to receive…
Streatham is proud to be the home of a fabulous array of independently owned and run businesses. Launching on Small Business Saturday our Christmas Treasure Trail invites residents and visitors to discover these hidden gems dotted along our high street whilst collecting the clues in the windows of the following businesses to enter into our draw to win selection of fantastic prizes. Each participating shop, salon, bar, restaurant, cafe or estate agent has received a letter clue that will help you to discover what the phrase is collect all of the clues and see if you can solve the puzzle to win.
The competition will run from 1 Dec to 31st Dec 2018. Prize draw closes at Midnight on 31st December 2018. Email your completed answers and contact details to email@example.com or send a direct message to @instreatham on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.
- £100 cash prize to be spent in Streatham – see pages 8 and 9 for some of the ways you could spend your cash in our top picks gift guide.
- 4 tickets for One Duck Down at Streatham Space Project. An eco-friendly family comedy, winner of Best Family Show at VAULT Festival 2018. Entries needed by 9th Dec.
- Cocktails for two at El Chico’s Cocktail Bar and Contemporary Mexican Restaurant. Choose from a mojito, cosmopolitan or the locally famous Streatham Stunner up to a value of £30.
- A family ticket to Streatham Ice and Leisure Centre’s Christmas Show on Ice, on Saturday 8th December. Entries needed by 5th Dec.
- A family skate session at the Streatham Ice and Leisure Centre.
Download map below.
Celebrate with us over a glass of mulled wine or hot chocolate and a mince pie on Saturday 1st December.
Our annual Lights On Streatham! Switch on event is drawing near. We’ll be turning on of Streatham’s festive lights along with some famous faces on Saturday 1st December on Babington Plaza/Streatham Green.
There will be live entertainment and local choirs and say a big hello to Santa in his grotto! There will also be face painting, stilt walker and a small festive market which promises a feast of food and craft stalls to delve into.
The stage will host a number of performances and speeches from including:
- Local Choirs
- Stilt walking
- Face Painting
- MC Host
- VIPs/Dignitaries including Mayor of Lambeth, MP Chuka Umunna and the BID chairman Oliver Osibo.
As part of our Small Business Saturday campaign, our Christmas treasure trail will also launch on the night. We hope you will join us on the Plaza on Saturday 1st December and enjoy the celebrations.